Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Eugene, 160 over 90 and other updates

Eugene gave us a lot of good information about the business side of art whether it be fine art or commercial. In either side of the spectrum you have to know how to market your self, because each has its own business methods. 
     I like when he talked about his transition from being mainly a photographer into art administration. He talked about how he had other interests and talents that he valued and wanted to explore, so photography is not the end all be all, and it can lead me into other art based jobs.
     I like how he gets to travel for his job, that sounded exciting. He told us how we have skills we didn't even know we had like  facebook, and blogging, which just let me know keeping up with technology and trends is very important in staying relevant. 

160 over 90, Karen I 'm glad you asked what it meant how you blood pressure rises when you see art or visual stimulant- that is really cool. I liked the place before we even went, and I'm glad it lived up to what I thought it would be. 
Tom the photographer/ art buyer:
when you said he was an art buyer I think we all thought he really bought physical art- but to know that art buyer is the one who finds the talent and photographers is pretty cool, I never knew that job existed. I liked that the did a lot of pre and post production work.
When he explained the process of how they come up with ideas it reminded me a lot of what we do in class, we sit around a table and discuss our project plans, not to different.
    I'm glad he shared with us his experience as a assistant with other photographers because I was thinking it was something I would not want to do, but now I know a little bit more about it, that may change.
     Updates on Internships:
I turned in myintent to apply for the Knight Foundation, and I called The Print Center but they have already filled their positions so my plan B is I called the African American Art Museum and they didn't have any paid internships but would contact me shortly. I plan on applying at 160 over 90, and I am searching for another gallery to apply at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment