So this was from a long time ago...but this semester and I've been putting off writing about it. So here goes:
On February 12th, 2009, I went to a lecture at UPenn put on by the ICA. It was the ICA's symposium on Robert Mapplethorpe. The person I went there to see was Patti Smith. She talked about her personal relationship with Robert and about all the crazy things they did together and how he influenced many people in the art world including herself. She also read poetry from her book and sang a few of her songs. It was the only artist lecture I've been too that I completely enjoyed. (No offense other artists) She is an amazing speaker and very modest while speaking. She was nervous and talked about that which made her even more personable. Her performances were heartfelt and she was very emotional but not in an uncomfortable way for the audience. It was more than an artist lecture. And the best part of all...I got to meet her at the end of the lecture and had her sign the pamphlet, which I proceeded to leave in the Penn Design buildings bathroom. Besides that part, it was a wonderful experience and very eye opening. (Not just because of Robert Mapplethorpe's controversial work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment